Monday, December 29, 2008

I can't believe I bought these!!

Well, Hadley has been asking for a pet for a while now. He really wanted Hamsters so I went to the petstore to get some. The guy there told me that Hamsters and gerbils are actually kinda mean and tend to bite alot. Also, you can only hold them cupped in your hand. He said the best pet for a kid Hadley's age was actually a rat. yup, a rat! ewwww!!! We talked for a while. He told me that everything I think I know about rats is wrong. They are really smart animals. they are kinda like having a little dog. They can learn their name and learn to do tricks. They are very social so they like to be held and be around people. And they are very agile so you can carry them around on your shoulder or whatever. Well, it took a lot of convincing but I ended up getting two rats. They are actually really cute and have grown on me. I have actually held them! Technically they are both Hadley's but we told Devin one was his so he wouldn't be sad, but he doesn't even pay attention to it.


We kept the cage hidden for two days then on christmas peter put it in their room and we told them there was another gift they had to find.

Hadley was so excited when he found them!

There they are, actually kinda cute.


Hadley's rat is white with Black on it's head and back, he named her Lucy.


Devin's rat has identical markings but it brown and white instead of black. He named her Carly.


Hadley carries the rat everywhere. We found him the other day watching a movie with Lucy just chilling on his head. He already loves the stupid thing to death!!


Hanging out on Hadley's shoulder. He walks around all day with this rat on his shoulder.


You can't tell me that's not cute!
If you had ever told me that someday I would allow rats in my house, and actually hold them and like them...I would have had you committed!!







6 comments:

Jensen Memories said...

Morgen- you are an amazing mom. I am sitting here at the computer with my feet off the floor and having a hard time even looking at the monitor thinking OVER MY DEAD BODY!! Good for you. But I am very glad they are at your house and not mine. Keep me posted on how things go with them.

Greg & Mary said...

Ok, yes, I CAN tell you they aren't cute! You aren't thinking clearly Morgen. I think I'd have a heart attack. I would've just laughed and walked away if someone tried selling me rats. Yuck.
BUT! On the bright side, I think it's great that Hadley loves his rat and has a pet.
By the way....I don't think I can come to your house now. :(

Andrews Family said...

I don't know that I can visit your blog again knowing there are rats on it! LOL! These pics totally gave me the chills and even had me looking out of the corner of my eye to make sure there were no rats in my house! ha ha ha I'm sure the kids will have a blast with their new pets...

Morgen said...

Oh, all you close-minded people:) I was the same way, I have always been really creeped out by rats and it took a long time for the guy to convince me. But now, as long as I don't look at their tail, they aren't so bad. and since they aren't icky gray, they are cute black and white...they have grown on me...and if you had them they would grow on you too!!:)

Miriam Lusk said...

I am with you Morgen. It's not like you found them in a sewer somewhere. I wouldn't go straight to "cute" but at least not disgusting.

Erin said...

More power to ya!!!