Friday, January 2, 2009

Poor Hadley.

Well, Hadley has had a fever and the sniffles all week. Yesterday it progressed to a pretty nasty something. He lost his voice and was wheezing quite a bit. Unfortunately he gets this from me and if he's like me he will have it clear into adulthood. This was the same thing I had 3 years ago when my wonderful neighbor called 911 instead of driving me the half mile to the hospital! They xrayed my neck and said that my throat had become so irratated and swollen that I had an opening about the size of a coffee straw left...have you ever tried to breathe thru a coffee straw?! it pretty much feels like you can't breathe. I have had this happen several times in my life that I can remember.
Well, about 5 this morning I woke up to horrible heavy wheezing from downstairs. Hadley was in bed just completely panicking cuz he couldn't get air...now, having this before, I knew he was getting air...just not much. I was going to take him to the ER but peter had already left for work and was on the train so he couldn't get back, and there aren't many people I can call up at 5am to stay with my other 2 kids while I go to the hospital.
Luckily, being married to an RT I remained calm and all was good. I took him outside and sat out there with him quietly talking to him to calm him down and having him slow his breathing down. The COLD air helped some of the inflammation and swelling go down enough that he didn't feel like he was suffocating. We went in to the Dr. first thing this morning and got loaded up with drugs so hopefully he will be on the mend by the time school starts monday.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Poor little guy...that sounds so scary! I'm glad that he's okay.