Monday, September 22, 2008

Worst day of my life!

Well, we are in sunny Oceanside,CA. After a rocky start we are having a blast. I just had to get on and blog about what happened.
Saturday we got here, unloaded the car and Peter and Hadley took off to go back to LA for the Dodger's game. Me, Devin and Lexi were left to unpack and do whatever we could do without a car:). We walked down to the pier and ate at Mcdonalds and walked home. When I put Devin to bed he said his tummy hurt, I figured it was just from being in the car for two days eating junkfood. About 30 minutes later I heard him puking. I got him cleaned up and layed him on the couch while I went outside to rinse the sheets. I came back in and he was crying that his armpit hurt?! weird. I told him just to go to sleep. He layed there for a minute before he started hysterically clawing at it and screaming. I took off his shirt and his chest, neck and back were covered with hundreds of hives! I immediately started freaking out cuz I didn't have a car to go to the store and get him benadryl. I started trying to get a hold of Peter but he apparently couldn't hear his phone ringing at the game. Devin started saying that he was really hot so I layed him in front of the door so the cool air could get him better. He looked at me and said, "I have to go to the bathroom" he got up and tried to get to the bathroom but started running into walls and falling down, his words were slurred when he tried to talk and he just had this glazed look in his eyes. I immediately called 911.
The ambulance arrived, the emt picked him up and Devin just flopped around like a rag doll completely unresponsive. They grabbed him and ran out to the ambulance. I had to gather Lexi and her things and then I got in the front of the ambulance and we took off...for the TEN minute ride to the hospital. In the back I could hear them trying to get him to respond and wake up and even I could hear panic in their voices.
By the time we got to the hospital his heart rate was 172 and his oxygen saturation was only 80%...which if you don't know...is really bad!! There were doctors and nurses everywhere. Devin was laying there completely out of it. His skin was bright red except his hands and feet were this sickly grayish/blue color. The nurse started trying to prepare me for the worst. I was literally sitting there watching my son die and I couldn't do anything for him. I had gotten a hold of Peter and he was on his way but it was a 90 minute drive. I was in complete shock, and numb and I just kept thinking that he was going to die and Peter and Hadley weren't going to get to say goodbye.
I have never in my life prayed so hard! Luckily, the Lord decided that we could keep Devin with us and he started improving. We spent most of the night in the hospital but he completely recovered. We went from the nurse telling me he might not make it to him being just fine to go home...didn't even have to stay overnite.
We were there til about 3am. Once we got everyone home and in bed and I had a minute to just sit...I cried til about 4am.
Devin is fine now, running around and playing and being his wild crazy self like it never happened. He doesn't remember any of it. They said that he had an allergic reaction to something and went into anaphlactic shock. We have no idea what caused it. They said it could even be something that he was never allergic to before but now is. they said the only way we will ever know what caused it, is when it happens again to figure out what was the same as this time. We now have to carry epi-pens with us everywhere. It is so scary not knowing what did this, cuz there is no way to avoid something you don't know to avoid!
I am so grateful that he is ok and still with us. I am so blessed. That was by far the worst day of my life (and there are some good contenders;). I get teary eyed whenever I think about it. I don't ever want to feel that again, that helpless feeling as you watch your child fight for their life. Yet, I also don't ever want to forget it. I hope everyone who reads this goes and hugs your kids. Love them, cherish them and enjoy every minute you have with them because they can be gone in an instant!
All is good now and we are having a blast on the beach!

3 comments:

Erin S said...

OH MY GOSH, MORGAN!!! How scary for you guys!! I feel so bad for him, but at least he's doing better! How random is that? WOW, I am soooo glad that he is okay!!!!!

Andrews Family said...

I teared up reading this!! I'm so glad Devin is ok. I know what its like to watch your child suffer and have no way to help them. We lost our baby girl a few years back and I would never want anyone to go through that. I definitely gave my kids a big hug after reading this. :) Hope you guys enjoy the rest of your vacation!

sunni said...

Miss you. Even though I never see you! Bring me back some sand. Sending prayers for a uneventful remainder of your trip.