Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"Allergies" is a 4 letter word!

So, I never really had allergies growing up. I worked on farm for 8 years and never had a problem. Then when I got preggers with Hadley I got allergies really bad. but they only lasted during the pregnancy. but, after the 2nd kid they stuck around. they have gotten progressively worse every year with this year being pure torture!


My eyes are itchy and red and swollen, I have had 2 episodes this summer of them swelling completely shut. my ears itch, my nose itches, my throat itches. I was taking 3 different allergy meds, a pill, a nasal spray and an eyedrop and they were doing nothing...or so I thought.

This summer I reached my breaking point with the whole thing and made an appointment with an allergist. I had to have all allergy meds out of my system for 5 days before the testing. there is no other way to describe it other than torture. I discovered the meds were indeed helping. since being off them all the above symptoms have been magnified by 20. then I have been sneezing non-stop. I itch EVERYWHERE. I keep breaking out in hives all over my head, on my face...I woke up on sunday and felt like Will Smith in Hitch cuz my ear was all swollen.


I finally had my appointment today. They did a skin test and just ran a standard one where they test the most common allergens in our area. they did 65 different allergens and I reacted to EVERY SINGLE ONE!!! Many of my reactions (mostly to weeds) were a 4plus reaction...the biggest...bigger even that their "control" test which is supposed to be the worst.
they said I have some of the most severe allergies they have ever seen. And I am only one of 2 people they have seen to react to every single prick. I should get a plaque!!:)


so, they put me on 6 different prescriptions. (my friend Doug says I should just live in a bubble)I am supposed to take them all for now to get me thru the bad weed season then I can play around with them and see what works for me. They also put me on steroids for a week so I could get some quicker relief. he said my body is just so inflammed and irrated that it needs some help to calm down. He says I will feel amazing by the end of the week, a whole new person. I guess the allergies have taken quite the toll on me, I have been so miserable and tired and just felt drained all summer..I am looking forward to feeling good!! I told him if it works I would love him forever!! sorry dear:)





oh yeah...I reacted pretty bad to the rat serum...I gotta figure out a way to tell Hadley the rats have to go:(

4 comments:

Shelley Gee said...

You have rats!?! I know the pain of allergies, and I thought I was the worst...until now! I will now pass the title to you, and yes, you should get a plaque! My allergies have been bad the last two weeks and I am getting tired of it. We just need the snow to come and kill everything!

sunni said...

we always knew you were a "one and only!" this only proves it scientifically!!!

Jensen Memories said...

I wanna see a pic of the swollen ears!! I am so sorry to hear that you have to get rid of the rats. NOT!!!

Tanya said...

Sounds terrible! Hopefully the new meds will get you feeling as good as new!