Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sometimes I hate Nature!

I found this nest on the side of the house the other day. the picture doesn't do it justice...it was about the size of a baseball. I got a shovel and knocked it down and it was full of larva of somekind and a whole bunch of little spiders! ewwwww!



I googled it, and it is the nest of a mud dauber wasp. apparently they fill it full of spiders for their babies to feed on...all I know is it is icky and it made me all itchy and creepy-crawly all day!

3 comments:

Melissa Sutton said...

Hey, I think I'd hate it too if I had to find that . . . it's creepy! On the other hand I LOVE the science-end of things! That was so educational! I had no idea that there were wasps that did that. AWESOME! . . . You remind me of myself when you said you got a shovel and knocked it down. Ha ha. This summer I found a red ant hill that was up to my knees. It looked like a bunch of little sticks were piled up all over the top of it. I couldn't resist, so I plowed over it with my riding lawn mower! Usually I totally respect nature and leave it alone, but the temptation was too great with that one! ha ha. . . .that being said, I totally had the heebie-Jeebies ALL night after I did it. That crap got flung in every direction and I was sure there were ants and flying ants planning their revenge on me. :O)

sunni said...

You were very brave! Motherhood does that to us :)

Jensen Memories said...

Morgen-That is DISGUSTING!! But I love how you blog about everything!!